Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween Costumes - Do You Make or Buy Them?


My boys as Link from Legend of Zelda, a Ninja and French Fries in 2009

Thinking back to Halloween as a kid, the first thing that I remember is the excitement over what I was going to dress up as.  My mom and dad always made our costumes.  I don't remember my mom sewing often but her sewing machine came out at Halloween time.  I don't own a sewing machine but I enjoy making costumes for my kiddos.  I probably get more excited about it than they do.

We spent yesterday evening working on this year's costumes.  (I'll post pics next week.) I'd like to tell you that I save by making costumes instead of buying them ... sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.  And yes it takes time to make them. The money I spend and the time it takes to make them is worth the fun to me!

Whether you make or buy costumes I do think the best way to save is to recycle them.  We have a friend who plays in and wears his costumes all year.  Two years ago, Dylan went as Kermit the Frog in a costume my mom made for my brother about 30 years ago.  I remember Halloween pictures where I was dressed as an Indian Girl and a few years later my Indian dress was cut off to be an Indian shirt for my brother's costume. Consignment stores and resale shops are a great place to find or sell Halloween costumes.  Trading costumes with friends is another way to save. Check out the Halloween clearance sales next week for next year's costumes.

Homemade, store bought, new or used costumes .... I hope you and your little ones enjoy dressing up for Halloween this year! 

Want to get Saving Bits and Pieces delivered right to you?  Receive updates by subscribing by RSS Feed or Email.  You also can follow on the Saving Bits and Pieces Facebook Fan Page

0 comments: